Et pourquoi pas ? why not ?
Muscat and sylvaner together? et pourquoi pas, why not ? It is our outlaw cuvée because both grapes had late harvest characteristics but in Alsace sylvaner late harvest is not allowed. However the effect is amazing: a whirl of curves and fine acidity. For wine lovers wanting something exceptional and unexpected.
“Et pourquoi pas?” (“and why not?”). Dare to make combinations, if it can magnify and enhance each of the grapes? Why not?! That’s the freedom of being a winemaker!
– where does this wine come from: the first grapes from a vineyard located in the grand cru area at the foot of the Wineck-Schlossberg hill. A long time ago gewurztraminer and muscat have been co-planted here. The soil is disintegrated granite for the first wine. For the second one the terroir is a very heavy clay soil near the front of the village.
– story: for this cuvée we harvested muscat only because it was particularly expressive but in very very small quantity. We also chose sylvaner grapes with very opulent and rich aromas and a touch of acidity–a welcome pairing with the delicate muscat. We tried to marry them… they lived happily and had many children: exactly 250 beautiful bottles
– our suggestions: an aged Comté cheese, red meat accompanied of a verjus jelly, all dishes where a touch of acidity is desired
– temperature: around 10 or more.
– bottle of 0.75 cl, type “bourgeoise”, natural cork. own yeasts, light sulfiting at bottling day only, sweet wine.